The Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs (IDEAS) is an independent research institute committed to promoting research-backed solutions to public policy challenges.
We take pride in our dynamic team. At IDEAS we believe in a flat hierarchy where everyone from interns to employees can make valuable contributions to our work. We believe in being knowledge-driven, transparent, collaborative and autonomous. We foster our employee’s natural curiosity and encourage innovation in our organisation.
Do you share our passion in wanting to promote and develop better public policies in Malaysia? Do you want to influence politicians, corporate captains, the media and the wider public? If yes, then come and join us. To know more about the leadership in IDEAS, please see this page.
Project Coordinator (1 Year Appointment)
Salary: Starting from RM3,200 per month and subject to experience
IDEAS is looking for a Project Coordinator to coordinator our projects on health and provide support on health policy research. You will be required to coordinate, develop, initiate and deliver projects and research relating to health policy. At IDEAS you will work independently, develop a healthy interest in public policy especially on health policy and be a part of a young and energetic team focused on delivering real change.
- Coordinate and manage projects relating to health;
- Conduct necessary data collection, analysis and literature review to produce informative and compelling research;
- Engage with stakeholders in the government and industry to strengthen IDEAS’ research and advocate for our policy recommendations; and
- Proactively develop plans to engage with the media and the public at large to promote IDEAS’ research.
- Perform other tasks assigned by line manager.
- Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor’s Degree in social policy, public policy, economics or a related field and 1 to 2 years of experience producing high quality research or project coordination.
- Candidate with a Master’s Degree will have an advantage.
- Candidate will need to demonstrate proficiency in project management, delivering complex projects on budget and to a deadline.
- Experience working on issues relating to health policy is highly desirable.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English as well as Malay.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision.
Please send your resume, including your current and expected salary, as well as one writing sample to email@example.com by 15 January 2019.
Research Executive (18-month appointment)
Salary: RM 2,700 per month
IDEAS and Harapan Tracker are looking for a Research Executive to coordinate a project to monitor the economic promises in the Buku Harapan manifesto. At IDEAS you will work independently, develop a healthy interest in public policy and be a part of a dynamic and energetic team focused on delivering real change. Fresh graduates are welcome to apply.
Tracking daily developments and news in government, business and politics for the purpose of updating the Harapan Tracker (social media and website)
Writing a wide range of content: social media posts, media statements, opinion articles and reports
Attending, observing and analysing Parliamentary sessions and debates
Assist in developing a scoring and reporting mechanism for the purposes of creating a government performance report card
Assist in developing a communications plan for the government performance report card
Assist in organising events, meetings and discussions with stakeholders (MPs, civil society leaders, government agencies etc)
Assist in producing content for the Harapan Tracker Facebook Page (FB Live sessions etc)
Bachelor’s degree (Degrees in political science, economics or social sciences is an advantage)
Passionate to make a difference in Malaysia
Good interpersonal and communication skills
Proficiency in English and Malay, both spoken and written
Some experience in project management an advantage
Digital native: well versed in websites and social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
Ability to work independently and on a tight deadline
Able to start work immediately
Please send your CV, cover letter, as well as one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18 January 2019.